Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Matthew Jordan Smith @ WPPI March 19th, 2008

Matthew Jordan Smith is best known for his beauty and fashion photography. He is also the photographer for "America's Next Top Model." Before I met Matthew I had already made up my mind that I really loved his work. We have all seen his beautiful work in magazines and books etc. The image that I saw last year of Cynthia Nixon with a red background really caught my eye. Matthew is a very nice and big hearted guy. When I was talking photography with him he was very humble, knowledgeable and polite. Later after reading his bio and more about his current projects I realized what a great guy he is and how much he gives back. You can read more about his book titled "Lost and Found." on his website. This book focuses on the struggles that families face when a child has been abducted. This is just one of the example of his personal projects, that helps other people. Matthew is an amazing photographer! He has really polished his technical skills. Matthew has a rule of never showing a single image. He shows his images typically in pairs. I've seen this look for years and I never knew it had an official name. Matthew calls it the rule of opposites. We all know about the rule of thirds but how cool is the rule of opposites. Last but not least Matthew tells us to DREAM BIG!


Here's my example of rule of opposites.


No comments: